NAET BASIC 15 GUIDE
Adapted from “The NAET Guide Book”
By Dr. Devi S Nambudripad, DC, Lac, PhD
The instructions below are to be followed AFTER each particular treatment. There are no dietary restrictions BEFORE the treatments.
- BBF (Brain Body Balance Formula) This is to balance the overall energy of the body; if it is not in a balanced state an individual can have difficulty clearing other allergens on the list.
Avoid stress and relax for 25 hours. Drink 5 to 6 glasses of non-allergic water a day. If you are allergic to bottled, distilled, tap water, etc.; boil water for 10 full minutes. When rechecked, your practitioner may treat you for BBF alone or for combinations with the other basic 15.
- EGG MIX (Egg, Egg Yolk, Egg White, Chicken, Tetracycline, feathers)
YOU MAY NOT EAT OR TOUCH: egg white, chicken, tetracycline antibiotic & all foods containing egg or chicken including crackers, cookies, soups, breads, mayonnaise, salad dressings that contain egg products, cakes, pastries, pies, pancakes, foods baked or fried in egg batter and thick sauces. Also avoid birds, feather pillows, down comforters, vitamins and protein drinks, shampoos, conditioners and skin lotions made with egg products.
YOU MAY EAT OR USE: brown or white rice, pasta made without eggs, imitation eggs, pancakes & waffles made with imitation eggs, vegetables, salads, oil & vinegar salad dressings (avoid creamy dressings), fruits, milk products, oils, beef, pork, fish, dried beans, lentils, green peas, potato, french fries, coffee, juice, soft drinks, water and tea.
- CALCIUM MIX (Calcium, Albumin, Casein, Calcium lactate, Calcium gluconate, Calcium citrate, Calcium malate, Calcium fumarate, Coral calcium, Vitamin D, Cow’s & Goat’s Milk, Breast Milk, Lactic acid, Cheese)
YOU MAY NOT EAT OR TOUCH: milk products, eggs, uncooked vegetables, dark leafy greens, cabbage, spinach, dandelion greens, brussel sprouts, broccoli, sesame seeds, oats, navy beans, cheese, soybeans, almonds, dried beans, walnuts, sardines, salmon, peanuts, sunflowers seeds, calcium supplements & pre-packaged foods fortified with calcium.
MAY EAT OR USE: cooked rice, pasta, cooked vegetables (cooked
vegetables may contain a small amount of calcium once it is cooked very well),
cooked potato, corn, yams, cauliflower, sweet potato, red meat, chicken, sugar,
coffee or tea without milk. Drink or use
distilled water (washing hands, face, brushing teeth, etc.). Avoid using
toothpaste for 25 hours. If the food label says less than 2% calcium then it is
okay. Read Label.
- VITAMIN C MIX (Vitamin C, Asorbic acid, Acerola C, Camu camu, Oxalic acid, Rose hip, Kakadu plum, Plum mix, Bioflavonoid, Citrus mix, Citrus acid, Berry mix, Vegetable mix, Fruit mix, Chlorophyll, Cucumber, Melon mix, L. Gunololactone, Zucchini, Vinegar mix, Hesperidin, Rutin, Quecertin, Quince seed, & Vegetable mix)
YOU MAY NOT EAT OR TOUCH: fresh fruits, vegetables, leafy greens, citrus fruits, dry fruits, juices, sauces, ketchup, salad dressings, vinegar, tomato sauce, Tabasco sauce, soft drinks, milk, artificial sweeteners & Vitamin C supplements. Avoid grasses, plants, trees, flowers, gardens, etc.
YOU MAY EAT OR USE: cooked white or brown rice, pasta without sauce, boiled or poached eggs, baked or broiled chicken, fish, cooked red meat, turkey, toast, hot dogs, deep fried foods, french fries, baked or cooked potato (no sour cream or butter), chicken fries or nuggets (no sauce or ketchup), salt, nut oils, white sugar, water, coffee (no milk). If the food label says less than 2% Vitamin C then it is okay. Read label.
- B COMPLEX MIX (B Complex, B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 12, 13, 15, 17, PABA, Inositol, Choline, & Biotin)
YOU MAY NOT EAT OR TOUCH: whole grain products, fruits, vegetables, meats, dairy products, anything with B vitamins. Avoid grasses, plants, trees, gardens, etc.
YOU MAY EAT OR USE: Donuts, jello, white sugar, cooked white rice (rice should be washed well before cooking), cooked white pasta, cauliflower (raw or cooked), well cooked or deep fried fish, salt, white sugar, black coffee, french fries, purified water. Cook the rice or pasta with lots of water & drain to remove the fortified vitamins.
- SUGAR MIX (Sugar, Beet sugar, Brown sugar, Cane Sugar, Corn Sugar, Cellulose, Date Sugar, Dextrose, D-Mannose, Pentose, Hexose, D-Ribose, Fructose, Galactose, Glucose, Grape Sugar, Honey, Lactose, Maltose, Maple sugar, Molasses, Sucrose, Raw sugar, Rice Sugar, Coconut palm sugar, Turbinado sugar, Crystal sugar, Demerara sugar, Barbados sugar, Invert sugar, Barley sugar, Powdered sugar, Castor sugar, Berry sugar, Granulated sugar, & Sugar cubes)
YOU MAY NOT EAT OR TOUCH: Brown rice, whole grains, carrots, fruits, beets, milk products, (any drinks, sauces with the sugars listed above). Do not use powdered spices in pre-packed containers, toothpaste, & mouthwash.
YOU MAY EAT OR USE: white rice (wash well, cook in lots of water & drain), pasta without sauce, raw or cooked vegetables, green salads, oil & vinegar dressing (no sugar, avoid creamy dressings), vegetable oils, red meat, eggs, chicken, turkey, french fries, fried chicken & fried fish (no sauce), water, coffee & tea (no milk or sugar). Sugar free jello & pudding is okay (read the label).
- IRON MIX (Iron, Ferrous gluconate, Ferrous sulphate, Iron bisglycinate, Ferrous Fumarate, Ferrous Citrate, Dark meat of Chicken, Beef mix, Pork, Lamb, Raisins, Dates, Bacon, Ham, Gelatin Pepporoni, Crude Iron, Wrought Iron and Iron Wok)
YOU MAY NOT EAT OR TOUCH: apricots, peaches, green bananas, plantains, black molasses, dates, prunes, raisins, brewer’s yeast, whole grain cereals, turnip greens, broccoli, brussel sprouts, spinach, beet tops, alfalfa, beets, sunflower seeds, walnuts, sesame seeds, whole rye, dry beans, lentils, kelp, egg yolk, liver, red meat, pork liver, beef, lamb, organ meats (kidney, heart & liver), farina, raw clams, oysters, nuts, asparagus, coffee, herbal teas, regular teas, iced teas, chocolate & iron supplements. Avoid leather belts, shoes, purses, wallets, or any leather goods. Avoid ornamental iron work, iron skillets, woks, universal iron works, etc.
YOU MAY EAT OR USE: All oils (olive, vegetable, canola, palm, nut, & fish oils), butter, margarine & imitation spreads, mayonnaise, shortening, lard, artificial sweeteners, club soda, tonic water, bottled & tap water, plain brewed coffee, brewed black tea, unsweetened instant tea, distilled alcoholic beverages (vodka & whiskey), white rice without iron fortification, sourdough beard without iron, cauliflower, iceberg lettuce, yellow squash, yellow apple, yellow banana, potato, egg white, white meat of chicken, light green vegetable, orange juice, spices, turmeric, white or brown onions, sour cream, ice cream cones, baby foods, plums, ginger, garlic.
- VITAMIN A MIX (Vitamin A, Beta Carotene, Salmon, Shellfish mix & Fish mix, Shellfish mix (Abalone, Clams, Crab, Crappie, Cray, Lobster, Mackerel, Oyster, Scallop, Shrimp), Fish mix (Ahi tuna, Anchovy, Baracuda, Catfish, Cod, Eel, Escargo, Flounder, Haddock, Halibut, Mahi mahi, Pollock, Sardine, Sea bass, shark, Sole, Red snapper, Sword fish, Squid, Tilapia, Trout, Tuna, Opah, Saxitoxin, Salmon)
YOU MAY NOT USE OR TOUCH: yellow, orange or red fruits, yellow vegetables, banana, carrot, spinach, green fruits, green vegetables, green peppers, fish or fish products, cheese, milk products, butter, tomatoes & corn products.
YOU MAY EAT OR USE: brown or white rice, pasta without tomato or cheese sauce, potato, cauliflower, peeled red apples, chicken, turkey, red meat, egg white, sugar, water, salt, olive oil & coffee.
- MINERAL MIX (Minerals, Trace minerals, Aluminum, Antimony, Barium, Beryllium, Boron, Bromide, Caesium, Chromium, Cloraminum, Chlorine, Cobalt, Copper, Electron, Europium, Fluoride, Gallium, Germanium, Gold, Iodine, Lead, Lithium, Manganese, Magnesium, Mercury mix, Molybdenum, Neutron, Nickel, Palladium, Potassium, Phosphorus, Proton, Rubidium, Samarium, Scandium, Selenium, Silica, Silver, Sodium, Sulfur, Strontium, Thallium, Throrium, Tin, Titanium, Uranium, Vanadium, Zinc & Zirconium)
YOU MAY NOT USE OR TOUCH: metals, tap water, mineral water, root vegetables (onions, potatoes, carrots, turnips), fish, shell fish. Avoid any exposure to pesticides. Wear gloves while touching metal surfaces, metal on eyeglasses, buttons (on clothes, shoes, handbags), wedding rings, religious rings, door knobs (chrome), water faucets, etc. (these may be covered with masking tape for before going for the treatment). Use plastic & glass utensils, to cook, paper or plastic plates, cups, plastic spoons & fork to eat (use a pair of plastic gloves during the 25 hours to avoid touching metals). If you have amalgam fillings wear plastic gloves (even when you sleep) to avoid touching your mouth or tooth fillings with your fingers.
YOU MAY EAT OR TOUCH: use distilled water for drinking, washing, showering. Wash & cook rice, pasta, corn, other grains, vegetables, fruits, meats, etc. in distilled water & keep foods in plastic or paper containers before treatment. You may cook foods in stainless steel cookware but transfer them to paper or plastic dishes. No cast iron or crude iron woks, aluminum dishes or products. You may eat eggs, milk, milk products, chicken, turkey, cooked red meat, cooked vegetables salads, bread, coffee & tea.
- SALT MIX (Salt, Sea salt, Table Salt, Rock salt, Plain salt, Iodized salt, Kosher salt, Sodium & Chloride)
YOU MAY NOT USE OR TOUCH: kelp, celery, romaine lettuce, watermelon, seafood, processed foods with salts, fast foods, table salts, soy sauce, fish, shellfish, carrots, beets, artichokes, dried beef, brains, kidney, cured meats, bacon, ham, coffee, watercress, seaweed, oats, avocado, swiss chard, tomatoes, cabbage, cucumber, asparagus, pineapple, tap water, & prepared, canned or frozen foods. Read labels for sodium content.
YOU MAY EAT OR USE: distilled water to drink or bathe, cooked rice, pasta without salt added sauce or salt substitutes, potatoes, fresh vegetables & fruits (not listed above), chicken, turkey, all cooked meats & sugars.
- GRAIN MIX (Grains, Wheat mix, corn mix, Seed nuts, Gluten mix, Rice mix, Oat mix, Rye, Barley & Hops)
Oat mix: steel cut oats, rolled oats, toasted oats & oat bran.
Wheat mix: wheat bran, durham wheat, red wheat, white wheat, faro, sprouted wheat, organic green wheat, whole wheat, kamut, milo, spelt, sorghum, & teff.
Corn mix: corn blue, corn red, corn yellow, corn white, corn silk & popcorn,
Seed mix: amaranth, buckwheat, chia seeds, flaxseed, hemp seeds, poppy seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, safflower seeds, millet & quinoa.
Gluten mix: gluten & gliadin.
YOU MAY NOT USE: whole grains & items made from the above whole grains.
YOU MAY EAT: white rice, white pasta (made with enriched flour), vegetables, fruits, meats, chicken, egg, turkey, milk, coffee, tea, sugar, oils, butter, salt & water.
12. YEAST MIX (Yeast, Baker’s Yeast, Brewer’s Yeast, Tortula Yeast, Yogurt, Whey, Candida & Sour cream)
YOU MAY NOT EAT OR USE: brewer’s yeast, baker’s yeast & any foods containing these items (including baked goods, sugars, fruits, soy sauce, yogurt, butter, ice cream, fermented foods, miso, tofu, tempeh, sourkraut, cheese & alcoholic beverages.
YOU MAY EAT OR USE: white rice, pasta without sauce, fresh corn, fresh vegetables, potato, french fries, unleavened bread or flat bread, meat, chicken, turkey, oils, salt & fish.
13. STOMACH ACIDS (Acid, Aldehyde, HCL, Gastric Acid, Gastrin, Mucin, Stomach Mucosa, Mucus, Sugar digestion, Acid Regurg., Reflex dis., H pylori, Secretin, Parietal cells, Chief cells, Intrinsic factor, Pepsin, Pepsinogen, Ghrelin, Tubulovesicular memb., Carbonic anhydrase, Acetylcholine, Histamine, Adenylyl cyclase, M3, (muscarnic receptor), H2 (histamine receptor -2), Somatostatin receptor, Prostaglandin receptor, CCKA, CCKB, Icholecystokinine, PLC (phospholipase C), G cells (gastric cells), Mucous neck cells, ECI (enterochoromaffine-like cells), Gastric D cells, Enterogastrone, Neurotensin, Lingual lipase, Lisozyme, Haptocorrin, R-factor, Serous cells, Mucous cells, Gastric cells, Gastric enzymes, GIP (gastric inhibitory peptide) & DMG)
YOU MAY NOT EAT OR USE: sugars, starches, fruits, grains, meats, other acid forming foods, coffee & supplements containing betaine hydrochloric acid or pepsin.
YOU MAY EAT OR USE: herbal teas, raw, steamed or cooked vegetables, raw tomato
(raw tomato is basic, cooked tomato is acidic), dried beans, eggs, oils, clarified butter, salt & milk.
14. BASE (Base, Digestive enzymes & enzymes from the intestinal tract (Enzyme mix, Amylase, Bile acids, Bromelain, Carbohydrase, Cellulase, Chymotrypsinogen, Duodenal S cell, P ductal cells, Zymogen, P acinar cells, Elastase, Lactase, P. Lipase, Maltase, Nuclease, Papain, PGE2, (prostaglandin E2), GIP, Duo K cells, Fructase, Galactase, Pancreatin, Carboxypeptidase, Peptidase, Triglycerides, Glycerol, Sterol Esterase, Phospholipase, Pan.amylase, Motilin, P. delta cells, Sodium bicarbonate, Protease, Ptyalin, Sucrase, Trypsinogen & Trypsin)
YOU MAY NOT EAT OR USE: raw & cooked vegetables, beans, eggs & milk.
YOU MAY EAT OR USE: grains, sugars, starches, breads, over-ripened fruits & black coffee.
15. HORMONES (Hormone, Estrogen, Progesterone, Testosterone, Androgen, Androsterone, DHEA, Estriol, Estradiol, FSH, HCG, Lutenizing hormone, Prolactin & Semen)
(Check with your practitioner for individual hormones in cases of hot flashes, PMS, hormone imbalances, infertility, etc.)
YOU MAY NOT EAT OR USE: milk products, red meats & products with hormones fed or injected (meat from an animal that has never received hormones is okay). Avoid stimulating your hormones. Avoid treating during menstrual periods.
YOU MAY EAT OR USE: grains, vegetables, salads, oils, fish, meats & fowls without hormones, organic milk, organic eggs, organic chicken & dairy products, sugar & sugar products (avoid sugar when having hot flashes).
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Why do I have to avoid these substances for 25 hours? According to Chinese medicine theory, it takes 24 hours for your energy to circulate through 12 major meridians or energy pathways in your body. According to NAET theory, if the energy can complete its travel without interruption and return to its original starting point 24 hours later, that uninterrupted journey is imprinted in the brain as harmless or beneficial energy and will no longer initiate an immune response to the allergen that was treated. Less allergic patients could possibly clear the allergy in less than 24 hours; however, we ask that you avoid the substances for a full 25 hours to make sure that the entire energy cycle is completed. It has been observed that patients who do not stick to the 25 hour avoidance often tend to need many more treatments later on. It is much more time and cost effective if you stick to the 25 hour avoidance.
Can I just fast during the 25 hours? You should not fast. Your body will be going through many changes and it will need some nutrition during that time. Eat some foods from the “YOU MAY EAT” list. Keep your meals light and simple, focusing on whole foods with little or no processing.
What should I do if I accidentally eat or touch something I shouldn’t have? As soon as you realize that you’ve made a mistake, stop touching the item or spit the food out of your mouth. Wash your hands or rinse out your mouth with water (distilled water if you are being treated for minerals or salt). If water is not available, rub the palms of your hands together for several seconds. Continue with the avoidance until the 25 hours has passed. There is still a good chance that you could have cleared or at least partially cleared the allergen.
You can also rub the acupressure point GV26 which is midway between the nose and upper lip for 30 seconds followed by the Gate Point treatments.
How will I feel during the 25 hour avoidance period? Most people will feel fine, others may feel tired and weak. If you feel tired or wiped out, get plenty of rest. You will most likely feel better when the 25 hours have passed. Be sure to get plenty of rest and stay hydrated during this time. There is no way to accurately predict how you will feel as the intensity of reactions or lack of negative effects depends on many factors such as the duration of your previous illness or allergy and the overall status of your immune system. The following are some possible symptoms that have been experienced:
High/low energy in varying degrees, extreme fatigue or sleepiness, insomnia, restlessness
Sensations of tingling, movement or electricity in the body
Temperature variations, flushed or cold feeling
General body aches
Congestion, sneezing, coughing, tight chest
Hyperacidity, abdominal bloating, belching, hiccups
Are there some food items that aren’t listed that I can eat? Yes, the lists are not all inclusive by any means but if the food appears on the list you should definitely follow the YOU MAY EAT/YOU MAY NOT EAT OR TOUCH instructions. If there is a food you have a question about, ask your practitioner or you may also refer to www.nutritiondata.com for nutritional information. Be sure to take into account the serving size when looking up the amounts of particular nutrients. If a nutrient is listed as having 2% or less of the Percentage Daily Value, you can eat that food item safely during the 25 hour avoidance period.